Built in 1846 by the famous Engineer Alan Stephenson, Covesea Lighthouse warned shipping of the dangerous Covesea and Halliman skerries. The lighthouse keepers who lived in the nearby cottages were withdrawn in 1984 when the light was automated. In 2012 the light was switched off and replaced by a North Cardinal Buoy. The lighthouse complex was bought by the Covesea Lighthouse Community Company in 2013 and will house a heritage visitor attraction. The site will also have a state of the art interpretation centre relating to the nearby air station, currently home to several RAF Squadrons and which was at one time a Fleet Air Arm base. At present,the lighthouse can be visited by appointment only.